10 Homemade Drinks To Help You Get Rid Of A Bad Hangover
- The year-end is a merry period, that people around the globe celebrate through drinks and food.
- Very often, binge drinking can result in a hangover.
- Here is a list of home remedies you can use to get rid of a hangover fast.
Around the world, the year-end is a merry period, where people welcome the next year with joy and positivity. In keeping with this spirit of merrymaking, partying hard and dancing the night away are synonymous with celebrating the New Year. All this merry-making also means a drink or two, sometimes a little too many. Result: waking up with a hangover the next morning.
Now, anyone who’s been there and done knows it’s not the best feeling to wake up with. But does that mean you shouldn’t dance the night away or indulge in merry-making? Of course not! All you need is to keep handy our list of carefully curated list of ideas on how to get rid of a hangover fast. Read on to learn about home remedies in how do you cure a hangover naturally!
What causes a hangover?
Hangovers are the unpleasant physical and mental consequences of consuming excess alcohol. It usually kicks in a few hours after you’ve stopped drinking, depending on how your body reacts to all the alcohol. Headaches, nausea, disturbed sleep are the most obvious signs of a hangover.
However, dealing with a hangover is not as simple! The worst part is hangovers tend to get worse with age, and can take anywhere from 8 to 24 hours to completely subside. Many underlying implications are responsible for the symptoms mentioned above.
Before we move to hangover cures, let us understand how alcohol affects your body negatively.
1. Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance
You might experience that you go to the loo more frequently when drunk. This can dehydrate your body and ruin the electrolyte balance. This may lead to headaches, fatigue, and thirst.
2. Gut problems
Along with slowing down digestion, alcohol can also irritate the digestive tract. This can lead to a feeling of nausea and discomfort, which are often experienced during hangovers.
3. Blood sugar levels plummet
Alcohol can reduce your blood sugar levels. Fatigue, tiredness, and inability to concentrate may be a result of low blood sugar.
These effects of alcohol sound scary and it is important to remember that everything is best done in moderation.
1. Virgin Mary
The Virgin Mary is a non-alcoholic version of a Bloody Mary and is a recommended drink for curing hangovers. Tomato juice, which is the key ingredient in a Virgin Mary, helps in reducing hangover symptoms by increasing alcohol metabolism in the body. Tomatoes are also thought to reduce alcohol-induced oxidative stress owing to their antioxidant properties. The Virgin Mary is an easy drink to prepare and hardly takes 3-5 mins.
- 3 ounces of tomato juice
- ½ ounce lemon juice
- 1 dash of Worcestershire sauce ( Use Soy sauce + Apple cider vinegar + Pepper flakes if the sauce is not available)
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 dashes of hot sauce (Tabasco sauce)
- Ice cube
- Pour tomato juice and lemon juice into a tall glass with ice cubes in it.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, salt, hot sauce to it and stir well.
- Add pepper to taste.
Once done, add a celery stalk to garnish and bottoms up!
2. Ginger ale
Ginger is well known for its ability to treat uneasy stomachs and help with nausea. Ginger ale is one such drink that can help reduce nausea caused by the hangover. This drink is one of the most popular home remedies for hangover cure.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons freshly minced ginger
- 2 cups of soda
- 1 cup lemon juice
- In a pan, add water, honey, and ginger and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to soak for 10 mins.
- Strain the mixture and discard the residual ginger. Allow it to cool.
- Transfer this to a pitcher and to it add the soda and lemon juice
- Serve over ice and enjoy the refreshing taste and feel!
3. Banana Smoothie
Bananas are a rich source of antioxidants, nutrients, and electrolytes. Any nutrient depletion or electrolyte imbalance caused by alcohol can be cured by having banana smoothies. Here is an antioxidant-rich hangover solution!
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 2 cups of milk
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chop the bananas and put them into a blender
- Pour all the other ingredients and blend till you get a smooth mixture
- Pour in a chilled glass and drink up!
4. Coconut Water Detox Tonic
A hangover causes dehydration and depletion of electrolytes. Coconut water is a great way to restore balance in your body. Here is a coconut water detox tonic to help you get rid of hangovers!
- 12 ounces coconut water
- 1 green apple chopped
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Add the coconut water and all the ingredients into the blender
- Blend the ingredients till you get a smooth consistency
- Add water to achieve your desired consistency
- Strain if you don’t want the pulp
An easy recipe for a quick hangover cure!
5. Green Tea
Green tea is filled with antioxidants and can help with relieving hangover symptoms. Here’s how you make it.
- 1 tablespoon green tea
- 1 cup water
- ½ or 1 lemon (your preference)
- 1 teaspoon Honey (use according to your preference)
- Soak the tea in boiling water for 3-5 minutes
- Pour in a cup after removing the leaves
- Add lemon juice and honey according to your preference
- One of the best home remedies for a hangover which is refreshing and wholesome!
6. Fresh Lime Soda
One of the most popular hangover remedies is a fresh lime soda. Alcohol is known to irritate the lining of the stomach and may cause acidity. Having drinks like fresh lime soda may help deal with these problems. Here’s how you make one!
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Pinch of black salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Some mint leaves
- Club soda
- In a tall glass with ice, squeeze a lime
- To it, add ½ a teaspoon of sugar
- Pour club soda into the glass and stir well
- Add a pinch of black salt and mint leaves to garnish
Apart from being simple and delicious, it is one of the best hangover cure drinks available!
7. Pear Juice
Consumption of pear juice before drinking has been shown to reduce blood alcohol levels. The Korean pear juice contains lots of ingredients that provide nutritional support and help the body alleviate the symptoms of hangovers. Here’s how you make a green pear smoothie!
- 1 cup fresh pear juice
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) fresh basil juice
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup (about 5 ounces) fresh celery juice
- Add all the ingredients into a blender and blend thoroughly
- Add water as per your liking to maintain consistency
8. Chicory Root Coffee
Chicory roots can help alleviate your hangover symptoms and contains prebiotics which can improve your gut health. Here is all you will need to make it!
- 1 teaspoon chicory root powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted dandelion root powder
- A dash of milk
- 16 ounces of water
- Soak the chicory root and dandelion root powder in boiling water for 5 mins
- Strain the mixture to obtain the root extract
- Add milk of your choice to it
- Have this drink to restore balance to your gut!
9. Thyme Lemonade
Thyme extracts are very good detoxifying agents and have antioxidant properties. They can be used for countering alcohol toxicity. Thyme lemonade is one such drink that can help in hangovers.
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 2 cups of lemon juice
- 7 cups water
- In a pan, boil 1 cup of water with the sugar and the thyme till the sugar dissolves
- Pour in the lemon juice and stir
- Pour into a pitcher and add 6 cups of cold water to it
- Serve this drink over ice and feel refreshed!
10. Hibiscus Tea
Hibiscus contains a lot of phytochemicals and vitamins which are beneficial for us and have been traditionally used as a remedy for hangovers. Here is how you can prepare some delicious hibiscus tea!
- ½ cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 8 cups water
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons of lime juice
- Bring the hibiscus flowers and water to a boil
- After boiling, let the tea steep for 15-20 mins
- Strain the mixture and to it add the lemon juice and honey
- Stir well
Have this fragrant beverage for a quick hangover cure.
While partying the night away is great, having to wake up with a hangover the next morning is definitely not a great feeling. We hope that you are encouraged to try these easy-to-make and delicious drink recipes to kick your hangover real fast! The next time you plan to paint the town red, make sure you go easy on the binge drinking. And in case you go overboard with a drink too many, remember our hangover cures that are made of pantry essentials.
- “Hangover”. Available from: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/16627-hangover
- Kim MJ et al. Effect of mixed fruit and vegetable juice on alcohol hangovers in healthy adults. Preventive nutrition and food science. 2018;23(1):1.
- Takahashi M et al. Clinical effectiveness of KSS formula, a traditional folk remedy for alcohol hangover symptoms. Journal of natural medicines. 2010 Oct;64(4):487-91.
- Kumar KS et al. Traditional and medicinal uses of banana. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2012 Sep 1;1(3):51-63.
- James-Martin G et al. Health and nutritional properties of pears (Pyrus).
- “20 amazing dishes and drinks to cure that hangover”. Available from: https://www.thespruceeats.com/recipes-to-help-cure-that-hangover-4157670
- “The best hangover cures to try now”. Available at: https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/best-hangover-cures/
- “Lemon thyme lemonade”. Available at: https://www.terristeffes.com/2019/04/lemon-thyme-lemonade.html