11 Ways To Find Motivation To Lose Weight
Decided on losing weight, and failed to keep up? We have all been there! Starting and sticking to a healthy weight loss regime may appear difficult. The key to losing and keeping off weight is not just simply what you eat or how much you exercise, but how motivated you are. Effective weight loss is a slow and steady process and there can be a lot of distractions that can prevent you from reaching your goal. But with the right motivational approach, weight loss can be achieved and managed effectively.
Set realistic goals for achieving effective weight loss. Make plans which you can stick to.
Use these tips to help you stay motivated:
1. Pen down what motivates you
Make notes on why you want to lose weight. Think of the difference that it will make to your body and mind. Write down how much you eat and exercise every day. Keep reading your notes regularly. Read it as and when you need inspiration.
2. Maintain a food log
Keep a record of your diet and exercise habits. Maintain a food diary. Research suggests that people who keep a food diary tend to lose almost twice as much weight as those who don't.
3. Be positive
Be hopeful that you will be successful. The right attitude is key to successful weight loss. If things don't seem easy, try speaking to family and friends for encouragement.
4. Scale your numbers daily
Weighing yourself daily leads to consistent weight loss. If you find your weight increasing, you can immediately change your plans like eating small portions or staying more active.
5. Keep some time for fitness
Physical activity relieves stress and helps burn calories. By any chance, if you skip an exercise session, think of an alternate way to make up for it. For example, on a busy day when you missed the gym, use the stairs in your building instead of the elevator.
6. Keep control of your cravings
If you really wish to eat something sweet, take small portions. Enjoy every bite and resist your urge to eat more. Look for healthier sweet alternatives to keep your cravings in control.
7. Find an exercise buddy
Exercising with a partner can help you lose weight more effectively. The success of weight loss of your partner can help you lose weight, according to a study published in the Journal of consulting and clinical psychology.
8. Don't give up
A study published in the European Journal of Social Psychology suggests that it can take anywhere between 18 to 254 days to form a habit like running 15 minutes before dinner, eating a piece of fruit with lunch, or meditating. It took about 66 days for a habit to become automatic. What we can understand from this is that behaviour change is a steep slope and it takes time to get there. So, keep persevering and don't give up!
Once you successfully lose weight, it's time for you to make it last. About 90% of people who lose weight tend to regain about all of it. Shocking, isn't it? Sustaining weight loss involves an altogether different approach than losing weight. You can achieve it by taking motivation from people who have managed to keep those extra kilos off for your years. Here are simple ways that can help you stay motivated:
9. Do it for your own good
Your desire to maintain a healthy weight must be driven by something that connects with your own internal values and thoughts. Take out some time to think about how weight loss is important for you. For example, think about the adventurous vacation you've always wanted to take but weren't in good shape before. Remember how you've worked hard on yourself to be fit enough to go rock climbing!
10. Grab your breakfast
Having a healthy breakfast sets tone for the remaining day. Have something that gives you nutrition and not just empty calories. For eg: You can have a bowl of oatmeal with fruits and nuts, an omelette with veggies and whole-wheat toast or have some low-fat yoghurt with berries.
11. Don't let emotions override you
You may find food as your best companion in times of stress. If that's the case, it's very important to find new ways to handle your emotions.
Try experimenting with different ideas that may help you in tough times. Go for a walk, do yoga or do a workout to keep stress at bay.
Staying motivated to lose weight is as important as successful weight management. Give yourself a little flexibility along your weight loss journey. With the right motivation, you will surely win the 'slow and steady weight loss race.
Did you like our Article?
- 8 Diet Motivation tips for success. Available from: https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/features/diet-motivation-tips#1. Accessed on 10-8-21.
- 16 ways to motivate yourself to lose weight. Available from: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/weight-loss-motivation-tips/ Accessed on: 10-8-21.
- When You Need to Lose Weight for Your Heart. Available from: https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/lose-weight-10-ways/ Accessed on: 10-8-21.
- 9 secrets of successful weight maintenance. Available from: https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/features/maintain-weight-loss#1/. Accessed on. 10-8-21.
- 55 Facts to Boost Your Exercise Motivation Available at https://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/exercise/motivation.htm Accessed on 25 August 2021
- Institute of Medicine (US) Subcommittee on Military Weight Management. Weight Management: State of the Science and Opportunities for Military Programs. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2004. 4, Weight-Loss and Maintenance Strategies. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK221839/
- Why It's Difficult To Keep Weight Off, Scientist Share Weight Loss Study Available at https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/health-management/weighing-facts-tough-truth-about-weight-loss Accessed on 7 September 2021
- Gorin A, Phelan S, Tate D, Sherwood N, Jeffery R, Wing R. Involving support partners in obesity treatment. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2005 Apr;73(2):341-3.