Mushroom Barley Immune Boosting Soup
- 1 mins Read
- Written by: Jillian Lai Mei Siew
- 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced in half moons 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped mixed mushrooms 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce 4 cups bone broth
- 1 inch piece ginger, cut into slices
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ cup barley, acid-soaked overnight
- Rock salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste.
In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the coconut oil over a medium flame.
Soften the onions before adding the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add the mushrooms and continue to cook.
Add celery and carrot, sauté for a further two minutes and then add soy sauce.
Cover with bone broth and bring to a simmer.
Add ginger and turmeric.
Strain and rinse the barley, add to the pot, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.