Do You Know Of The Many Papaya Health Benefits?
The papaya fruit is widely known for its taste and nutrition. Papaya health benefits are many, but did you know that the health benefits of papaya seeds and papaya leaves, that are usually thrown away, are also immense?
The tiny round papaya seeds are actually edible and are good for our health if consumed in limited quantities. Similarly, chewing on papaya leaves can help treat dengue fever, keep blood sugar in check, aid in digestion, and also alleviate muscle aches and joint pain.
Health benefits of papaya fruit
- Papaya also acts as a panacea in many major diseases. It is rich in fiber, Vitamin C and antioxidants which prevent cholesterol build up in your arteries.
- Another benefit of papaya fruit is also that it is low in calories and helps in weight loss.
- Papaya contains more than 200% of your daily requirement of Vitamin C, boosting your immunity, enhancing vision and improving digestion.
Papaya seed health benefits
Papaya seeds are black in color and have a shiny, wet and slimy covering. If you remove this covering, you can feel the rough black seeds. They are slightly bitter and peppery in taste. You can consume them by drying and grinding.
The papaya seeds, known as 'traditional healers treat', acts as a magic bullet for the treatment of liver, kidney, diseases related to digestion and many more.
Papaya seeds have antioxidant activity
A study showed that among the various benefits shown by the seeds, antioxidant activity was one of them. Reactive oxygen species (ROS) are generated in the human body during various processes. These are harmful to our cells and can have toxic effects on our liver.
Papaya seeds contain certain substances called polyphenols
These help combat these harmful ROS and protect us from a ton of diseases. They also protect our kidneys by decreasing the toxic build-up of certain chemicals in our kidneys.
The seed prevents stomach ulcer formation and heals the ulcer due to the presence of an antibacterial substance in the seed and pulp. It has the ability to kill and prevent ulcer-producing bacteria.
Papaya seeds powder benefits and how to use: Five to ten fresh papaya seeds mixed with a pinch of black pepper increases appetite. For worm infection, take 2 gm air-dried seed papaya seeds powder mixed with 1 tsp honey taken once a day empty stomach for a week.
Bid goodbye to worms with papaya health benefits
Intestinal parasites are common in children. They cause frequent loose, mucus-filled watery stools, abdominal pain and spasms. Ouch! Sounds painful right? It is!
- You can use the papaya fruit health benefits in curing stomach disorders. For this, papaya seeds should be consumed daily.
- Alongside, drinking papaya juice is beneficial to eliminate stomach worms.
- Papaya seed is also beneficial to flourish digestive flora, primarily it acts on the liver and increases its vitality to perform better.
How papaya helps lower your metabolic syndrome
Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of conditions (for example, increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, excess body fat around the waist, and abnormal cholesterol levels) that occur together, increasing your risk of heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes.
Papaya seeds are packed with vitamins, bioactive compounds and fats of biological and nutritional importance. They are involved in the treatment of metabolic dysfunctions, associated or not associated with obesity.
A study demonstrated that the water extract of papaya seeds showed restoration of blood glucose and fat levels without signs of acute toxicity.
Papaya seeds are highly nutritious, and their extracts have been associated with a number of health benefits, including cancer prevention and kidney protection. High doses may cause side effects, but these issues can easily be avoided by moderating your intake and sticking to a few servings per day.
So, the next time you slice open a papaya, be sure to enjoy both the delicious flesh and powerful seeds nestled inside to take advantage of the full range of papaya fruit health benefits.
Did you like our Article?
- Santana LF, Inada AC, Espirito Santo BLSD, Filiú WFO, Pott A, Alves FM, Guimarães RCA, Freitas KC, Hiane PA. Nutraceutical Potential of Carica papaya in Metabolic Syndrome. Nutrients. 2019 Jul 16;11(7):1608.
- Okeniyi JA, Ogunlesi TA, Oyelami OA, Adeyemi LA. Effectiveness of dried Carica papaya seeds against human intestinal parasitosis: a pilot study. J Med Food. 2007 Mar;10(1):194-6.
- Somanah J, Bourdon E, Bahorun T. Extracts of Mauritian Carica papaya (var. solo) protect SW872 and HepG2 cells against hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative stress. J Food Sci Technol. 2017 Jun;54(7):1917-1927.