Prevent Weight Gain With A Healthy Diet And Exercise
- 3 mins read
- Diet and Healthy Food
- Jillian Lai Mei Siew
How to maintain a healthy weight
Maintaining a healthy weight is very important. It is important to check your weight regularly and monitor it. With our sedentary lifestyles and unhealthy diet, weight gain has become quite a common issue and it could lead to a multitude of other problems. This is where you need to focus on weight loss. If you are the right weight for your age and height, then preventing further weight gain or loss is important. So let us brace up ourselves to keep our weight in check and monitor it regularly.
All you need to know about your weight
When we talk about weight, many of us think, it’s actually “the fat. “ Let us open our eyes to other parameters as well which are :
● Muscle weight
● Bone weight
● Water weight
● Fat weight
Your body comprises all these factors which are bone, muscle, fat, and water weight. It is important to consider all these parameters while checking weight on your scale. While maintaining a healthy weight, it is essential to note that you don’t
lose on these important parameters like bone and muscle which may lead to weakness and fatigue.
Weight monitoring is important to keep diseases at bay
If you are suffering from hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, and thyroid disorders, it is very important to monitor not only your weight but also what you eat. As age advances, there can be a lot of fluctuations in your weight. Unexplained weight loss or gain can result in an open invitation to various diseases.
The statistics are eye-opening. Researchers have found a high risk of cancer and cardiac diseases in men and women who have gained weight between the age of 35- 55 years. Stability needs to be maintained in terms of weight parameters following your height.
:Here are some sure-fire ways to maintain a healthy weight
● It is important to stay positive about your weight and maintain healthy short-term goals.
● Once you achieve healthy weight loss, you will feel good as well there will be a sense of achievement.
● A positive attitude goes a long way to maintain a healthy lifestyle
● Positive thinking and an encouraging “can do” attitude can help in the long run
● Negativity can be defeating and can affect your actions and thinking
Lose the right way
While on a fitness journey, it is important to lose weight the right way. What you want is to lose the fat mass while preserving the lean body mass. Including some endurance or resistance training may be helpful. Do strength training two to three times a week. This could be a combination of weight lifting, bodyweight exercises, resistance band exercises, etc. Get plenty of sleep, which helps restore your energy levels.
Stay Motivated with your fitness levels
● Motivation is key not only for a healthy lifestyle but also for your professional and personal life.
● Brace up your energy levels and stay motivated with positive energy all the time for a healthy lifestyle
● Put “motivation” into practice because Practice makes a man perfect
● Staying motivated will help reduce stress and this, in turn, will help with weight control
● Maintaining a healthy weight is a challenge. Take up the challenge with a positive mind frame
Keep Moving – On the go
● Always keep moving all the time. No matter what you do, whenever you get time, walk around or walk on the treadmill
● If you can’t take out time to workout, do household chores
● Walking instead of public transportation can help you a lot
● Moving about can cause you to sweat out which can result in the release of “feel-good hormones”
● Each type of activity helps in burning calories which is very important to control weight, improve muscle tone and stay fit
Watch what you eat – Do not go on a diet
● Quality of diet plays an important role. Choose quality over quantity
● Don’t get overboard and tempted out to cut back on food. This can lead to a lack of nutrition and cause many health issues
● Eating “too little” food can result in starvation mode and backfire resulting in holding on to more calories
● The thumb rule is to keep eating healthy meals every 3-4 hours
● Healthy meals are key to correct nutrition levels and maintaining a good weight
1. Maintain a Healthy Weight Available at https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/index.htm Accessed on 6 July 2021
2. Healthy Weight Available at https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-weight/ Accessed on 6 July 2021
3. Keeping It Off Available at https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing_weight/keepingitoff.html Accessed on 6 July 2021
4. Researchers find the secret behind maintaining a healthy weight loss Available at https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-05/uoc–rft050621.php Accessed on 6 July 2021
5. Weight Management Available at https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/17633-weight-management-tips Accessed on 6 July 2021
6. Lessons learned about primary weight maintenance and secondary weight maintenance: results from a qualitative study – BMC Public Health Available at https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-015-1930-z Accessed on 6 July 2021
7. Maintaining Weight Loss Available at https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/maintaining-weight-loss Accessed on 6 July 2021