The 6 Best Foods To Naturally Cleanse Your Liver
- 3 mins read
- Diet and Healthy Food
- Rama Manikumar
“Live up” with the liver
The liver is a very important organ of the body for our survival. The name itself is self-explanatory: Liver means ‘To live’. Liver health is as important as that of the heart and brain. Whatever we take in the form of food or medicines first gets metabolized in the liver.
The liver is the organ that works silently behind the scene. Silently, it performs several functions: right from processing, metabolizing, and storage of various nutrients in the body.
Do not ignore the liver: Detox and cleanse the liver from time to time
As long as the liver does not throw up any visible symptoms, we hardly notice it. But it’s important to take care. Cleansing the liver is very important.
This is a part of the detoxification process which is a must for the liver. Cleansing liver naturally has many positive benefits and must be followed regularly in form of detoxification
Cleansing Foods for liver
It contains catechins, polyphenols, flavonoids, phenolic acids, and caffeine. A Japanese study showed the benefits of green tea for liver and found that consumption of over 10 cups a day of green tea may improve liver health.
Top 5 Benefits of Green tea
● Weight loss
● Boosting Metabolism
● Antimicrobial activity
Turmeric has the active ingredient called “Curcumin” which is full of antioxidants. About 100-1000 mg/day of turmeric is recommended depending on the preparation used (curcuminoids vs turmeric extract), formulation (tablets, liquid, root extract, tea) and indications.
Top 5 Benefits of turmeric :
● Detoxification of liver
● Anti cancerous properties
● Boost better digestion
It is an edible flower bud of the thistle plant.
Artichoke is rich in cyanogen, chlorogenic acid, and other compounds. Artichoke extract(~600 mg daily) can be beneficial in preserving liver health.
Top 5 Benefits of artichokes
● It helps supports the immune system
● It reduced oxidative stress
● It helps in the regenerative capacity of the liver
● It curbs hunger and appetite
● It has an anti-aging effect on the liver.
● It helps in cholesterol reduction which is primarily secreted by liver
The active ingredient of milk thistle is silymarin. About 420 mg of extract per day, thrice a day for 6-8 weeks can is recommended for hepatoprotection.
Top 5 benefits of milk thistle
● It is a wonderful tonic for liver health
● It is effective in preventing liver damage
Beetroot is a popular root vegetable. It can be included in the regular diet as salads or beetroot juice.
The active constituent in the beetroot is the Betaine.
Top 5 benefits of beetroot
● Blood purification
● Detoxification of liver
● It helps in reducing the chances of fatty liver
● It helps in controlling sugar levels
● It helps in controlling liver inflammation and infection
Berries (Blueberries, raspberries, and cranberries )
Berry is a simple fleshy fruit that has many seeds. Berry is developed from the pericarp which is the ovary of the flower.
The active ingredient of the berries is the anthocyanins.
These berries can be included as a part of regular diet and can supply antioxidants to keep our liver healthy.
Top 5 benefits of Berries
● It prevents liver fibrosis
● it helps aids the digestion and metabolism process
● It helps eliminate the toxins
● It protects against liver damage in case of alcoholism
Cleansing benefits of liver
Detoxifying your liver from time-to-time is extremely important to keep the liver in top condition in the long run. Alongside, it also has a host of benefits:
● Reduced accumulation of fat
● Helps controlling weight and obesity
● Better cholesterol control
● Better sugar control
● Better in digestion and absorption
● Helps in controlling hormonal levels
● Eliminates toxins
● Increased energy levels
● Improved concentration and focus level
● Controlling recurrent infections
1. Guan YS, He Q. Plants Consumption and Liver Health. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;2015:824185..
2. Milosevic I, et al. Gut-Liver Axis, Gut Microbiota, and Its Modulation in the Management of Liver Diseases: A Review of the Literature. Int J Mol Sci. 2019 Jan 17;20(2):395.
3. Review Foods and liver health Available at https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0098299707000842 Accessed on 6 July 2021
4. Foods For Liver: 10 Foods For A Healthy And Clean Liver | HuffPost Canada Life Available at https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/09/13/foods-for-liver_n_1880715.html Accessed on 6 July 2021
5. How do Certain Foods Affect the Liver? Available at https://www.news-medical.net/health/How-do-Certain-Foods-Affect-the-Liver.aspx Accessed on 6 July 2021
6. Eat Your Way To A Good Health Available at https://www.femina.in/wellness/diet/eat-your-way-to-a-good-health-top-10-foods-to-protect-your-liver-188307-1.html Accessed on 6 July 2021
7. 4 Signs of Liver Failure and Prevention Tips Available at https://health.clevelandclinic.org/4-signs-your-liver-is-in-trouble-and-tips-to-protect-it/ Accessed on 6 July 2021
8. Detoxing Your Liver: Fact Versus Fiction Available at https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/detoxing-your-liver-fact-versus-fiction Accessed on 6 July 2021
9. Delicious Juices to Keep your Liver Healthy Available at https://www.kent.co.in/blog/detox-your-liver-with-these-nutritious-and-tasty-cold-pressed-juices/ Accessed on 6 July 2021
10. The 12 best foods and drinks for the liver Available at https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323915 Accessed on 6 July 2021
11. Liver Disease Diet Available at https://liverfoundation.org/for-patients/about-the-liver/health-wellness/nutrition/ Accessed on 6 July 2021
12. Imai K, et al. Cross-sectional study of effects of drinking green tea on cardiovascular and liver diseases. BMJ. 1995 Mar 18;310(6981):693-6.
13. LiverTox: Clinical and Research Information on Drug-Induced Liver Injury [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases; 2012-. Turmeric. [Updated 2021 May 11]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK548561/
14. Panahi Y, Kianpour P, Mohtashami R, Atkin SL, Butler AE, Jafari R, Badeli R, Sahebkar A. Efficacy of artichoke leaf extract in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: A pilot double-blind randomized controlled trial. Phytother Res. 2018 Jul;32(7):1382-1387.
15. Karimi G, Vahabzadeh M, Lari P, Rashedinia M, Moshiri M. “Silymarin”, a promising pharmacological agent for treatment of diseases. Iran J Basic Med Sci. 2011 Jul;14(4):308-17. PMID: 23492971; PMCID: PMC3586829.