The Best Diet For 6 Types of Liver Diseases
- The liver is a very vital organ of the human body. A healthy diet helps to protect our liver from disease.
- Hepatitis, jaundice, non-alcoholic fatty liver, alcoholic fatty liver, hemochromatosis, cirrhosis, and liver failure are some of the diseases associated with liver health.
- Foods rich in fibers, protein, good fats, Omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, etc are the right choices for liver disease patients.
- Any kind of liver disease requires giving up alcohol and red meat, either temporarily or permanently.
- While fruits and vegetables are generally great for the liver, plant foods with Vitamin C and high iron content are to be avoided by hemochromatosis patients.
One of the most important organs in your body — the most unique, too, thanks to its phenomenal power of self-regeneration — the liver is constantly working to keep you free of toxins and performing hundreds of other tasks. What impacts liver health the most is what you eat and drink, and this becomes even more crucial should you ever develop liver disease.
It's important to know the best diet for liver disease so that the ailment cannot progress beyond the initial stage. By strictly following a fatty liver disease diet, an alcoholic liver disease diet, or a generally effective diet for liver disease recovery, you can prevent further complications that, unless taken seriously, could lead to liver failure.
Did you like our Article?
- Riazi K, Raman M, Taylor L, Swain MG, Shaheen AA. Dietary patterns and components in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD): what key messages can health care providers offer?. Nutrients. 2019 Dec;11(12):2878.
- Guan YS, He Q. Plants consumption and liver health. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2015 Jan 1;2015.
- Dasarathy S. Nutrition and alcoholic liver disease: effects of alcoholism on nutrition, effects of nutrition on alcoholic liver disease, and nutritional therapies for alcoholic liver disease. Clinics in liver disease. 2016 Aug 1;20(3):535-50.
- Diet and cirrhosis are available at https://britishlivertrust.org.uk/information-and-support/living-with-a-liver-condition/diet-and-liver-disease/cirrhosis-and-diet/
- Alcohol-related liver disease available at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/alcohol-related-liver-disease-arld/treatment/